Using iLearn (Moodle) for critical thinking skills, oral language development, vocabulary building and more at the elementary level just became easier! I have been busy creating some iLearn (Moodle) courses that elementary teachers can use immediately. Below is a summary of the courses that have been created and are ready to share. You can enroll in any of the courses listed, just click on the course title in the blog post to be taken directly to the course, and click the “Enroll me” button. If you’re interested in any of the activities, and would like them imported into your own course, or if you need to create a course, contact a Tech Coach!
This course contains ideas that can be used in an upper elementary classroom. Some highlights of the course are:
- 21st Century Reading Logs– ideas for ditching traditional reading logs and digitizing them for a more interactive and meaningful student experience
- Allow students the opportunity to use Close Reading strategies for deeper understanding of text while going completely paperless, using the website DocHub
- Examples of how to completely automate your spelling curriculum to allow time for you to meet with your struggling learners
In the Math Sample Course, you can find a variety of math resources. Some examples include:
- Sample DEC tests that can be given in any iLearn (Moodle) course
- Multiple sample math question types akin to those found on the M-Step, which allow for a more diverse practice and testing experience
- A sample unit on fractions, with interactive lessons, quizzes, web links and projects
- Practice tests and actual tests for fact fluency, based on grade level.
Looking for a literature unit that is packed with CCSS-based interactive activities that promote critical thinking, oral language and vocabulary enrichment? Look no more! This course contains thought-provoking units that meet all these expectations and more!
- Sign of the Beaver: Contains a student glossary, literature response journal, comprehension checks, group discussions, and research projects. Topics for writing assignments include conflict, similes, irony, and dialogue
- Bridge to Terabithia: Contains a student glossary, discussion topics, comprehension checks, enrichment activities to be completed outside of the iLearn course, a book review and multiple project choices for the end of the story. Writing topics include point of view, drawing conclusions, making predictions, compare and contrast, visualizing, and cause and effect
- Wonder: This unit contains a glossary for each section with words chosen by the teacher, as well as an individualized glossary for each student. Each section also contains assignments that can be completed by typing or by video testimonials. Also included in each section are discussion forums and Notice and Note Signposts. Topics included are figurative language, inferencing, and point of view
- The Lorax: This unit is aimed at lower elementary. It contains discussion forums, writing prompts, a Frayer Model activity, glossary and comprehension check. Topics include compare and contrast and character traits
The Math-A-Thon course has interactive fluency practice and fact tests for grades K-5, facts 0-12. The parameters for each quiz can be changed, such as time allotted, number of questions, etc. Students have a chance to practice their facts using iLearn before they take the actual test. Teachers have the ability to change the amount of time allotted for each quiz, the number of problems presented to the students, and which sets of facts are tested. Each attempt is randomly generated, so no two tests or practices are alike.
In the 3rd grade test prep course, 3rd grade students can practice their test taking skills using multiple question types in standardized-test format. Topics covered are reading informational text, reading literature, language, writing, operations and algebraic thinking, numbers and operations, and measurement and data. Question types include:
- Drag and drop
- Multiple choice
If you’d like more information on any of the courses listed above, contact a Tech Coach today!